”The energy of the mind is the essence of life.” -Aristotle
There exists an awesome assortment of herbs that enhance energy levels. I am covering the top seven I use in practice. They also have other welcome side benefits such an improved immunity, stress reduction, increased vitality and more!
Many people rely upon a singular stimulant herb, every day to get out of bed – coffee! While coffee is an herb with health benefits, consuming any stimulant daily can have unintended results such as unrestful sleep, anxiety, dehydration, pesticide exposure (non-organic) and unfiltered coffee can raise cholesterol. Consider weaning off coffee and trying these herbal alternatives!
7 Energy Boosting Herbs:
1. Canadian Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) – traditionally used by Aboriginal people. Enables the body to better cope with stress, speeds recovery from illness and improves physical and mental stamina
2. Ashwaganda (Withania somnifera) – important herb in the Ayurvedic and indigenous medical systems for over 3000 years. Helps with nervous exhaustion, insomnia, debility due to stress, and as an immune stimulant in patients with low white blood cell counts
3. Codonopsis (Codonopsis pilosula) – important herb in Chinese medicine. Gentle tonic that increases energy levels and helps the body adapt to stress, stimulates the immune system, increases hemoglobin and red blood cell levels and lowers the blood pressure
4. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) – one of the oldest living tree species and its leaves are among the most extensively studied herbs in use today. Anti-aging effects, anti-oxidant, ameliorates cognition, improves blood flow to the brain, increases cellular metabolism
5. Schisandra berries (Schisandra chinensis) – used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for over 2,000 years. Potent general tonic, decreases fatigue, enhances physical performance, promotes endurance, counters stress by reducing the levels of stress hormones in the blood and is immuno-protective of the respiratory system
6. Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea) – one of the most popular herbs in Siberia which is also known as arctic rose root. Improves concentration, decreases stress, improves physical fitness, improves sleep, enhances mood stability, improves mental performance and general well-being
7. Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus) – one of the important “Qi tonifying” or adaptogenic herbs in China. Prescribed for centuries for general debility, chronic illnesses, to increase the overall vitality, helps protect the body against various stresses, including physical, mental, or emotional stress, and anti-cancer properties
These herbs are fantastic solutions for improved energy and helping the body to become more resilient to the effects of stress. Isn’t that what we are all after?
Please note: depending on your medical condition, current state of health, supplements and/or prescription medications, these may not be appropriate for you. Please check with your trusted healthcare provider before beginning any new treatments.